In an age where the novelty of books is wearing off, radical bookshops are standing the test of time. Check out our Spirit approved list of independent booksellers below!
- 56A Infoshop (Walworth, South London)
volunteer-run DIY social centre
They offer a library archive of 1,400 books and 50,000 pamphlets, support for squatters, and a welcoming social space.
Subjects include trans-inclusive feminism, anti-colonialism, anti-fascism, queer politics, environmentalism, anarchism, anti-capitalism, squatting, and self-care.
- Al-Saqi Bookshop (Paddington, West London)
seller of Middle Eastern and Arabic-language books
- Bookmarks (Bloomsbury, Central London)
largest socialist bookshop in the UK
Described by influential socialist politician Tony Benn as “the university for activists,”
Specialising in Marxist theory, economics, and socialist theory.
- Housman’s Bookshop (King’s Cross, North London)
specialises in radical and progressive politics and stock the largest range of radical newsletters and newspapers in the UK.
They host two book clubs a month: one political and one for feminist sci-fi.
- Shalimar Books (Kennington, South London)
A leading UK supplier of Indian books.
- The Feminist Library (Southwark, South London)
Volunteer-run and one one of the largest feminist collections in the country, the library also runs a feminist bookshop.
- The Calder Bookshop and Theatre (Southwark, South London)
specialises in political theory and theatre. It has a small theatre of its own offering political and drama workshops and a community rehearsal space.