Syraat Al Mustaqeem, BA English
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Portion size: 2 person
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 peppers, chopped
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes or canned tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced (optional)
- 1 green onion, ½ for cooking and ½ for the garnish
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Smoked paprika
- Ground coriander
- 3 free-range eggs
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a pan, preferably an iron cast. Add in chopped onion and green peppers, saute until brown.
- Add spices: chilli powder, cinnamon, smoked paprika, cumin, and ground coriander.
- Add in tomatoes, garlic and green onions, let it simmer for 10-15 minutes stirring frequently until it thickens. Sprinkle salt over it.
- Using a spoon make rooms for each egg and break eggs into those hollows. Let it simmer uncovered until the eggs are slightly cooked for 8-10 minutes. Help egg whites cook well with a spoon. If you like the yolks hard, cook longer.
- Sprinkle ground black pepper over it.
- Garnish with chopped green onion and mint leaves. Serve in the pan.