Sumayyah Daisy Lane, BA History
Culture Editor of the SOAS Spirit
Make the most of this festive month and what London has to offer this year with the Spirit’s Christmas guide. From ice skating rinks to Christmas markets, sink your teeth into the lists below which prove why London is the place to be during the holidays!
McDonald’s Xmas Menu 2018
Only everyone’s favourite fast food chain has released their Xmas Menu and it’s about to blow your fuzzy socks off.
Starting off with the most exciting newbie, McDonalds is introducing the Malteaser Reindeer McFlurry which comes complete with reindeer Malteasers and chocolate sauce. This special comes in a small size and standard pot.
From there, we have the Chicken Big Tasty, a brand new square-bun burger for the UK menu. This one comes with two chicken patties in replacement of beef, doused in the Big Tasty Sauce. The signature Big Tasty is also making its long-awaited return.
Replacing the Nacho Cheese Wedges, this year’s festive menu welcomes Cheese Melt Dippers with a new tomato dip.
The Millionaire’s Latte is one to definitely try, combining caramel biscuit syrup, chocolate ice cream and caramel sauce.
McDonald’s Xmas Menu is available now until early January. Enjoy!
Ice Skating Rinks
Is it even December without going ice skating? Figure 8 your way around the capital and take a couple of snaps at any one of these beautiful rinks!
- Glide around Somerset House’s 18th Century ice rink.
- Skate by the Tower of London.
- Natural History Museum – need we say more?
- It doesn’t get much better than Skylight’s rooftop rink.
- Winterville on Clapham Common is not one to miss out on.
- Watch as the lights change colour under your feet at Canary Wharf.
Replace the likes of House of Fraser with the city’s Christmas markets for all your gifts this year!
- Arguably London’s most famous market is Southbank Centre’s Winter Market by the Thames.
- You’re bound to stumble across a few quirky finds at Christmas by the River at London Bridge.
- Eat your heart out at the new market at Greenwich Wintertime Festival.
- Browse around the cosy market at Winterville on Clapham Common.
- The boating lake deep within Battersea Park is home to the Pear Tree Christmas Market.
- Right in the centre of the city, get lost in Christmas in Leicester Square.
Christmas Film Screenings Around the City
These are the festive film screenings you need to get you in the mood for the winter season!
- This year, Backyard Cinema at Winter Wonderland is showing the 1982 “The Snowman” every day in Hyde Park.
- Covent Garden has launched the Neighbourhood Cinema’s Frozen Island showing the best Christmas films of the last 40 years with a few non-festive classics like “Cool Runnings” being shown too.
- Theatre Royal Drury Lane is hosting showings of “Love Actually” all December.
- “Home Alone in Concert” is coming to the Royal Albert Hall on December 22nd. You may have already seen it, but you haven’t seen it like this before.
- This month, the Christmas Floating Film Festival at St Katharine Docks is airing the likes of “The Holiday”, “Elf” and “Love Actually”.
Photo Credit: Sarah Andree